Sunday, May 9, 2021

A Mother's Day to Remember

It's been four years since Maribel has been able to celebrate Mother's Day with her family and friends in Peru. Mother's Day means a lot to many women including Maribel so this year I was determined to do something special; something that she would remember for a long time. I'm not the most imaginative guy on the block so am pretty much limited to dinner at a nice restaurant and a memento that will be at least remembered if not cherished.

We've got a lot of local options for a nice dinner. You've got your Outback, Texas Roadhouse, Red Lobster, Smokey Bones, Ruth Chris Steak House and a host of others, but for today I wanted something above and beyond...something that spoke of opulence with quiet elegance. After an extensive internet search I found it - about an hour and a half drive in Summerville, Georgia. 

Jim's Family Restaurant may not look opulent from the outside, but on the inside it looks like...your basic family restaurant. Our fear of being underdressed quickly disappeared.


You can do the buffet or order off the menu, which had a surprising amount of choices. We both had fried chicken. For the sides I opted for coleslaw and a baked potato while Maribel selected the salad bar. We were told that the chicken would take 30 minutes because each order was cooked fresh. The time passed quickly as we discussed and drank in the ambience. The food came on time as promised, was delicious, and the service was outstanding. The check was a whopping $21.25 including tax but was worth every penny of it.

Maribel expressed her satisfaction with the dinner and thanked me for the day but I said we weren't done yet. I told her that I was taking her to a store, and that she could pick out anything she wanted for her Mother's Day gift - no restrictions. 


I was somewhat surprised that she didn't purchase anything. Goodwill always has a good selection of women's clothing, jewelry and other items of interest. When I asked if she'd like to go to another store she indicated that she wanted to go home...that it had been a full day and she'd had enough surprises for today. 

I am glad that I was able to give her a day to remember. Happy Mother's Day, amor! 


No comments:

Post a Comment