Saturday, July 4, 2020

What The Hell???

Yesterday morning Maribel and me helped a friend with a moving project. When the job was done he offered to buy lunch at a nearby restaurant. I thanked him for the offer but refused, saying that because of Covid-19 Maribel and me were not yet comfortable eating at restaurants. His face took on a quizzical expression. 

We were invited to go to the annual gun show in Chattanooga today but declined because of the virus. The same quizzical expression appeared on the face of the man who asked me. Many of the people we know are behaving as if the virus doesn't exist, and seem surprised that we're even thinking about it. Most municipalities have cancelled Fourth of July celebrations, except for Catoosa County who is having both indoor and outdoor activities in the afternoon and fireworks at night. As much as we'd like to we won't be there. I don't get it. Sometimes I feel like I have to apologize when declining invitations, or for wearing a mask and carrying hand sanitizer when it's necessary to go out. 

The evidence is there. There are over half of a million people dead globally, killed by the virus, and nearly 130,000 in this country. New cases are increasing at an alarming rate in most states. The Center for Disease Control, the World Health Organization and every infectious disease expert in the world is pleading with the people to wear masks, social distance, avoid crowds, and stay at home when possible. And yet I feel like I have to be apologetic because I'm following their advice. And some people look at me like I'm stupid for doing so. 

I'm not saying everybody is mask-less. In fact a recent ABC News-Ipsos poll released last Thursday showed that 89% of Americans say they are wearing masks outside. I'm not seeing that...maybe 50% of the people I see in town are wearing masks. The other 50% not wearing masks may be among those who believe that the corona virus is just a hoax perpetrated by the Democrats to discredit Trump. I wonder if the 130,000 covid-19 deceased people in this country know that they're not really dead...that this is all a hoax. 

There is no one I personally know who has contracted the virus, but it's going to happen. Hopefully it won't be fatal. For my part I will have the satisfaction of knowing that they didn't get the virus from me or Maribel. And I'm not sure how much sympathy I'll have for them.

Oh, and by the way, Happy Fourth of July!



1 comment: