Thursday, May 28, 2020

The Taurus G2c - parte dos

It occurs to me that I may have been a bit hasty in my conclusion a couple of posts ago about the Taurus G2c, though I still say it should have worked perfectly out of the box. Maribel and I were at the shooting range today for two reasons. One was to familiarize Maribel with the gun and secondly to see if it would shoot without jamming. But before I get into that, let me comment about the cost of a shooting session at the gun range I've been shooting at. Previously I've gone with my neighbor who has a membership. The cost for me was nothing. This time it was just Maribel and me.

Upon entering the shop I told the attendant we wanted to use the range for 30 minutes. I would have liked to have stayed longer but this was Maribel's first time at a range and with this gun and I didn't know how comfortable she would feel. The man said that for 30 minutes the cost was $40. I thought about saying that I didn't want to buy the range, just use it for 30 minutes. Instead I said that we would be sharing one lane. He replied that the cost was $20 per shooter, not based on the number of lanes. 

In northern Wisconsin there are thousands of acres of Federal, State and County forests. You can shoot anywhere that you would like in those forests. Our property bordered a forest. All I had to do was step outside, nail a target to a tree and fire away. I need to find out if there are similar situations near our house. $40 for 30 minutes of shooting is exorbitant 

Anyway, we put on our hearing and eye protection, entered the range, hung our target and loaded the gun. Maribel watched me fire the first 12-round magazine. Then she fired about 20 rounds before saying she had had enough. I fired off two more magazines and then our 30 minute time limit was up. I am happy to say that the gun functioned perfectly. Accuracy wise at 7 yards the elevation is dead on. It is shooting about an inch and one-half to the left. When I am able to save up enough money for another session at the range I will take a screwdriver with me to correct the windage. 

So the gun shot flawlessly, the magazine release worked smoothly, but I forgot to try the slide catch, which I don't need anyway so I don't care if it never works. The gun is shooting, feels good in my hands, and will do the job I bought it for...home protection. I'll settle for that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment