Friday, October 23, 2020

Let's Get IT Over With

In 2006, the year I moved to Peru, a presidential election was held. The candidates were Alan Garcia and Ollanta Humala. When I'd ask people who their preference was, more often than not I'd get the standard joke, "It's like a choice between AIDS and cancer." That pretty much sums up my opinion regarding our election, and tonight's debate confirmed that. 

The absolute biggest 'piss me off' was Biden's comment that he would, "...lay out a path to citizenship for the eleven million undocumented people in this country." They are undocumented because they are here illegally. They know that and they knew it when they swam the Rio Bravo or however else they snuck over the border. My paternal grandparents were immigrants, and they did it the right way, coming through Ellis Island, as did my maternal great-great grandparents. And they applied for citizenship, and learned the language, and adopted the culture and became Americans. Nobody gave them anything. 

Maribel loves this country. Her biggest wish is to become a citizen. We met the residency requirement last July and filed the application immediately. Three weeks later we received notification that an interview was scheduled for November. Two months later the interview date changed to August, 2021. Now it's changed to November, 2021. We're hopeful that we'll have resolution in 2022. What is it that's blocking her path to citizenship, Mr. Biden? And I doubt that Trump would give a rat's butt if he knew about the situation. During the last four years I kept expecting him to put a hold on all pending citizenship applications and revoke permanent resident status. 

Judging on substance I think Biden probably 'won' the debate. On force of presence and presentation Trump gets the nod. I read an article this morning by a Trump supporter who suggested that we not vote against Trump because of his personality, which the writer basically acknowledged was obnoxious, but instead vote for Trump because of his accomplishments. In the debate I once again heard Trump brag about all the things he has done, but I don't hear the substance behind those claims. He is especially poor at talking in detail about his plans for the next four years. His whole shtick is "Everything's going to be great."

I don't want liberals in the oval office. I absolutely don't want Trump in there either. AIDS or cancer.

 



No comments:

Post a Comment